Monday, August 17, 2009

Of inspiring and being inspired

To dampen an already dull day, I came across a story/youtube video of a 5th-grader who interviewed US President Barack Obama. This kid waited months and did all he can to get this one-on-one interview for his school tv station.



How does this dampen my day? Well, there's the 11-year old who's having a face to face with one of the most powerful man in the world and then you have the 32-year old who's STILL wondering where her life is going (this is the point where I reach for a humongous tub of Haagen-Daaz and 'eat' my sorrows away).

I mean I'm intelligent, witty (most of the time), funny (ALL the time), kind (jury's out on that one), wise (no, really) and all the other wonderfully nice things that people normally say of other people. So why is it that my life's just going round and round in circles and I'm just existing (or surviving - take your pick) on a day to day basis with no freaking clue where this is all heading...apart from a 5'2" hole in the ground at some point. (Not a very comforting thought.)

I am constantly amazed and inspired by people, irrespective of their age, gender, socio-economic background etc etc who achieve things most people would 'claim' to be unachievable. However, I've come to realise that while I feel inspired I've not REALLY taken action on the feeling. I know I have the right attitude, I have the patience to wait it out and I have the determination to see it through but so what? So do most other people. Why are things not happening? Is it a case of it not being the right time? Or of doing so many other things that I haven't got the time to do what I want to do? Even if I did have the time would I then do it or fall into another rut?

In the past year I've done some things I have learnt from. Experience and knowledge which I hope will prove useful moving forward. There are many things I want to do and for the moment all my attention is taken up by one activity that there's little room to do anything else. I'm hoping that when that changes it won't be the end but rather a beginning for all the other things I want to try and do. I guess I'll just have to wait and see....

No comments:

Post a Comment